top of page

Monday Blues

How is your Monday? Are you struggling to get going this morning? Today we are sharing with you some quick simple tips to help instantly improve your mood. (P.S. These aren’t only conducive with Mondays and can be used any day of the week!)

Tip 1

Breathe Deeply

One of the simplest tasks you can do to improve your mood is by breathing. Sounds so simple but stick with us. When done correctly, breathing will signal to your body that your surroundings are safe. You will start to feel inner calm, and your stress level will go down. It is not hard, but you need to do it consciously. Take 5 minutes now and try the 5-5-5 technique.

Breathe in for 5 seconds, hold for 5 seconds, and release for 5 seconds. Repeat this 5 times, and you will feel your mood change instantly.

Tip 2

Move More

When we say move, we don’t necessarily mean exercise. The simple of act of moving is more important than exercise. Confused? Let’s do some maths:

If you sleep for 8 hours, that leaves 16 hours of your day left. You may spend 1 hour actively exercising which will equate to 6.25% of your day, leaving 93.75% left to play with. If you spend that remaining 93% stationary it will have much more impact on your health that the one hour you spent exercising will, and it will be a negative impact.

Look for excuses to move wherever you can. Park further away from the entrance to the office than you normally would, take the stairs at all opportunities, find ways to make your office desk more dynamic, perhaps with a walking desk or stand up more often. Take a walk every time you have a phone meeting or include a lunch break walk. You don’t have to make big changes in your everyday life to find ways to move more. And the impact it will have on your mood, and health, will be hugely evident from the get-go.

Tip 3

Don’t get Hangry

Food should be a priority in your daily life, don’t let it become a second thought. If you are feeling out of sorts it is a good chance you are low on something. That may be hydration or nutrients. Make time for mealtimes, and if you are feeling low in between drink a glass of water and eat a little bit. Maybe you only need some vegetables or a handful of nuts.

Tip 4

Be Grateful

Maybe you are feeling down because you’ve gotten yourself into a negative thought pattern and the best way to overcome this is to focus on the areas of your life you are grateful for. It will be very difficult to feel angry, sad, or frustrated and grateful at the same time.

So, just take 5 minutes out of your day, and think about 3 things you are grateful for at this moment and start focusing on that instead of the negative feelings.

Tip 5

Go Outdoors

Artificial light isn’t as good as the real thing. When you are feeling below par, take yourself outside and soak up the fresh air and sunlight that is out there. Computer screen especially can drain your energy, and with well over 500,00 of us working from screens daily it is no surprise that sometimes our moods are lower than expected. So, find an excuse to go outside once a day, perhaps combine your movement with the outdoors.

These are just a few very simple things you can do which will instantly change your mood for the better. The list is endless, and we are sure there are some unique things that you do as individuals to improve your moods. This list is just a baseline!

Anyway, Happy Monday! Enjoy your week.


bottom of page