A vegan feast.
This butternut squash recipe strikes the perfect balance between spicy and sweet for the perfect mid-week recipe. On top of that, it is also easy to make. Once you've chopped all of your veggies, it is plain sailing from there.
The fresh taste and crunch from the avocado and lettuce really tops of this vegan feast!
You may want to try cooking this recipe in bulk because it freezes, and reheats so well without losing any of it's delicious flavours. So, why not save time and double up the recipe this time around?!
Preparation time: 10 minutes - Cook time: 1hour & 15minutes - Serves 3
You will need:
- 2 tbsp olive oil - 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 red peppers, chopped - 750g butternut squash, cubed
- 3 crushed garlic cloves - 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp chopped chipotle pepper - 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon - 1 bay leaf
- 800g black beans - 400g chopped tomatoes (sugar free)
- 400ml vegetable stock - 2 avocados
- Lettuce leaves - Chilli flakes to garnish
Warm olive oil in a large pan and add the onion, pepper and squash.
Cook until onions turn translucent before turning down the heat and adding the garlic, chilli powder, chipotle, cumin and cinnamon.
Cook until fragrant.
Add in the black beans, bay leaf, tomatoes and stock.
Simmer for 1 hour – the squash should be tender.
Serve with avocado, lettuce leaves and chilli flakes.